05 August 2010

We have visual

Yesterday Myles and I saw the little one for the very first time.

And here is the blueberry!

We went for an 8 week ultrasound assuming we were 7 weeks and 5 days in (in the 8th week) but in actual fact the little one is only 7 weeks and 2 days old. Not a huge miscalculation but it meant that the little one was indeed little.

But now the whole story. (Warning. This may be TMI too much information for some readers.)

I had rather foolishly emailed the ultrasound place on Monday to make a booking for this week and they had not gotten back to me by Wednesday.

I think there must be something called pregnancy time. Days seem to last for weeks. Time just goes a lot longer than you expect.

So I was quite impatient and went into the office (conveniently located just up the road from Myles college) and made my own booking for 3 30 that day.

The girl at the desk told me that I had to go to the toilet at a certain time and then drink a litre of water in 30 minutes an hour before the ultrasound. I had heard about this. About the pain of a full bladder and an ultrasound want on the belly but I thought I could handle it. Its just a litre of water. On prac last semester I prided myself on being able to down two litres of H2O in the day and keeping bathroom breaks to a minimum.

Oh but weeks have passed since prac. I have not been drinking the water I should.
I downed the water in 15ish minutes. I had not been watching the clock. I began to need to go.. badly. And there was still an hour to kill.

Myles and I watched some House MD. This numbed the pain or at least distracted me. My mind kept telling me to get up and go to the smallest room in the house. It was so strange as I had to ignore my normal conditioned response to a full bladder.

Then it was time to go. I felt ready to burst. Sitting in the car was murder. "I'm not going to make it" I told Myles. I kept imagining me coming out of the bathroom feeling ashamed and having to reschedule my appointment. I did not want that to happen but I also did not want to wet myself.

We got there. (Living 5 minutes drive from the hospital really has its benefits) I ran in and made my presence known. I asked the receptionist if she had any tips. She smiled and said to not think about it. I think it was beyond not thinking about it. Myles arrived after parking the car and I paced up and down the waiting room. My kidneys and bladder felt like they were bursting.

After an impressively short time (It wasn't even 3 30 yet) the radiologist called my name. I let out a rather audible sigh of relief and Myles tells me there were a lot of disgruntled looking patients in the waiting room. I had only been there about five minutes.

After telling Myles I could not do it the doctor walked in.

"Please lie on the bed" she said and left the room.

I can't. I can't. I can't.

She came back in

"You need to lie on the bed. I can't do an ultrasound when you are standing up." This woman meant business. How many busting preggos had she seen in her days? Hundreds? Thousands? She did not care.

But that was ok. I lay down and she put the sticky goo on my belly. I couldn't see the screen but Myles could. So I watched his face. He was smiling. That meant there was something there. I asked him and he said that he could see something. It made me smile.

I wouldn't sit still. And I was breathing like a maniac. So she let me go to the loo and advised me not to let it all out.

Mmmm... Probably one of the hardest things in the world to do. (Don't say I didn't warn you about TMI)

I felt so so much better and could actually lie still. She kept prodding the wand into my belly and asking me to hold my breath to make it all still. I patiently sat and waited and then at the end she turned the screen around.

She showed me all the bits inside and then showed me the little one. It was pretty special. It didn't look like much but it didn't look like nothing either. There was a little lump of a bump inside of me for all the right reasons. She got me to hold still and zoomed in on the little one. She pointed out the heartbeat. It was like a little Christmas light flickering.

All is well. Our bobbin child is alive and growing. We know it grows. We love it and can't wait to see it in the flesh.

No comments:

You might also like to read...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...