04 January 2011


I just got back from my 29 week checkup. The first of the fortnightly visits.

I feel awful.
I was feeling all sprightly and well this morning as we left. When we got there I got to see the midwife pretty much straight away. She was really friendly and lovely.

I was supposed to have my glucose test (for gestational diabetes) before Christmas but it just didn't happen so I had it done today. They got me to drink the sweetest drink I have ever tasted. It was thick and syrupy like cordial without the water in it. It had a slight fizz. After drinking that I was feeling even more sprightly.

The midwife took my blood pressure - 120/65 (perfect she said)

She felt around for the little one but couldn't figure out where she was. I think she was sleeping at the time. In the mornings I don't really feel her. She is moving right now and I can tell exactly where she is.
She found the heartbeat and said it was good.

Then I had to wait an hour to get my blood tested. I sat in the waiting room and read a book about babies. I began to feel a bit drowsy. It felt like I was coming down from that sugar high. Myl went to move the car and when he was gone the time came for the blood test.

I felt pretty good about the needle. I could tell this midwife would be really good at blood tests. But I was still feeling a bit drowsy. As soon as the needle went in (which I barely felt) i started to feel dizzy. I told the midwife and she told me to drop my head and keep my arm still.

She finished up the test and gave me some iced water. I felt so dizzy. The water helped. Myl came in just at that moment and gave my head a pat. I like that.

She told me to lie down next time.

After finishing my water I went out to the car where Myl was waiting. I began to feel a bit queasy. When I got to the car I felt like I needed to vomit. You know that horrible feeling in your throat. I wound down the window and contemplated running into emergency for a vomit bag. Feeling woozy we drove on. I was holding an empty packet of shapes (just in case) and had the window wound right down. Myles started to pray for me and I started to feel better. Crisis averted.

I still feel a bit under the weather. It's a cool day today. So odd for Janurary. So we are having a nice little relax in the lounge room.

It's nice. More water I think.

1 comment:

Carey said...

Oh poor thing! I did read that the glucose drink can make you nauseous. Add on top of that getting your blood drawn.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

You might also like to read...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...