23 January 2012

resolutions




wow. we are already 23 days into the new year. Time flies when you are having lots of fun. We have been so so busy in our little family and the business doesn't stop. Today we pick up the keys for our new place and tomorrow (our 3 year wedding anniversary) we move in to our new home. I am very excited. But more on that later.

I'm feeling really good about this year. There is nothing like the turn of a year to make you feel fresh and renewed. I've been thinking about the way I'd like to live this year. I'd like to do things differently. I'd like to be more thoughtful about why I do things and how my actions can have bigger consequences. I'm a very different lady to the one who started 2011. We're in a new house a new church and so I thought a new frame of mind is just in order.

So, I'm calling it,




Here's what we are doing.




1. A Year of Joy...again








Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near.
 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and
petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.



Philippians 4:4-7
 


Some days we get bogged down in "doing life" and forget to just enjoy it. We are forever thinking about what we are doing next, how many hours nap Lucy has had, what we are going to have for dinner. It's usually then that we get really selfish and resentful of each other. Life breaks down and doesn't work. Some days we forget all that and focus on loving one another and being joyful. Not the crazy happy joy that comes with eating ice cream but the gutsy Phillipiansy joy that comes when you know how good life is in all its hardships. I want to live life this year in perspective. Knowing that things suck, things are hard but also that things are so so great. I don't want to spend this year worrying about my appearance or my parenting mad skills. I want to spend it joyfully living and rejoicing in the Lord.



2. A Year of Being Ethical








How can I be joyful at the expense of others?
There are so many people in our world who are being mistreated. It's horrible that things like child slavery are such a part of the creation of products for the west that without it our consumption would look very different. I've always casually said I would only buy fair trade but now I feel like I really need to take action. I think this is something that doesn't happen overnight but something we can be more serious about as a family. So, to start we have agreed to be more considerate with our purchases. Looking at where a product has come from and thinking more about what our support of particular brands may mean. We have decided to buy nothing new (clothes) this year. This means buying second hand or making clothes. We are also going to attempt a veggi garden. I'm going to speak out about more issues that don't sit well with me. The over sexualisation of women in culture for example. I'm going to write letters and sign petitions not just pass my eyes over articles and move on.



3. A Year of Industry.









She selects wool and flax and works with willing hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from far away. She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household. She draws on her strength and reveals that her arms are strong. She sees that her profits are good, and her lamp never goes out at night.  Her hands reach out to the poor, and she extends her hands to the needy. She makes and sells linen garments; she delivers belts to the merchants. Strength and honor are her clothing,nd she can laugh at the time to come.She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle.
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the LORD will be praised. Proverbs 31


I saw a this postcard the other day. It really made me think about what I'm doing with my life as a mama at home. I'm all for pajama days where all I do is hang out with my sweet baby girl. I'm all for resting it out and not overdoing it. I know I can't do everything but I think I can do more.

So, In a few months time I will be opening my very own etsy store with lots of little baby crafts. At the moment I'm stockpiling and figuring out how to go about it all.


All these ideas are works in progress. I'm a human so I'm sure there will be moments of failure along the way. I'm sure I will look back on these posts at the end of my organic year and laugh with 12 months more wisdom at the way I thought about things but for now I'm really excited about the changes we are making. I'm excited to think about living life this year in a way that is honourable and useful.
Happy New Year.


No comments:

You might also like to read...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...