07 March 2011

lazy risotto

I had never eaten risotto till a few years ago and I love it!
I'm a bit of a rice fan.


The first risotto I cooked was a chicken and mushroom one. I slaved over a hot stove pouring in a bit of stock and then stirring pouring and stirring, pouring and stirring till I had all the stock soaked into the risotto. It made quite a tasty dish but I must confess I am a bit of a low maintenance cook. I have been known to cook dinner while doing many other things and this means I am often burning, neglecting or overcooking my meals.

So here are two risotto recipes where you just put all your ingredients in the pot, pop it in the oven, cook and serve. Love it!

Chicken and Pumpkin Risotto
This recipe was given to me by a friend called Liv. I don't have any photos but I have made it twice.

1 cup arborio rice
2.5 cups chicken stock
30g butter (optional)
350g Kent pumpkin chopped coarsely
500g chicken breast or thigh cubed
1 tbsp parsley

Add all the above in an oven proof dish raw and cook on 190 C with no lid for about 30-40 minutes or until rice is cooked.

Stir through 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and serve.


Leftover Tomato Soup Risotto


This is one I made with some leftover homemade tomato soup I had in the freezer. It was taking up a lot of precious freezer space and I really didn't want to throw it out. You could use tinned tomatoes and/or vegetable stock.

1 cup aborio rice
2.5 cups thawed out frozen soup. 
handful of mushrooms chopped
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup frozen peas
vegetable stock cube
salt and pepper


You could also add other vegetables, bacon or whatever you like.

put all ingredients into an ovenproof dish and cook for 30-40 mins till the rice is cooked and the liquid has been soaked up.

Add some parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread. 


No comments:

You might also like to read...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...